The outside of your commercial building can sell what’s inside. This is why it’s important to maintain the front marque of your commercial building. Because if you have graffiti on your marque; as in on a building, it not only looks unkempt and neglected, but it sends out the wrong message to potential tenants. Also, graffiti make people think that the area is unsafe and can invite further vandalism along with its unwelcoming appearance. A well maintained marque is welcoming though and can send the message that your building is a safe one. So how can maintaining a marque work well for your business? Below are some suggestions:
- Look beneath the surface. Sometimes an older building may have a beautiful architectural detail which has been covered up for years by a marque. This design though can be an asset to your building and attract the right type of tenants though. But if the building is older, first see if your building is a historic or a landmark building; there are different rules and regulations governing everything here including signs.
- Decide what changes you could make to change the appearance of your marque. Don’t use anything that will make a visual clutter such as garish paint. Look around at your neighbors too and see what ideas you can gather from what they did to their marques.
- Make sure you follow regulations and zoning guidelines. Some cities and municipalities have zoning ordinances for sign requirements. Also check and see what permits you’ll need before you change anything in your building.
- Be sure to have bright light to deter crime. By using inviting lighting, it can make a perspective tenant feel welcomed and safe. Lighting, when used correctly, can enhance your building. Remember all lighting should be done by a licensed professional. Too, signs that illuminate may not be zoned for your area.
- Another cost effective method to have your marque stand out is paint. Use a color of paint that will accent your building though and not make it stand out in the wrong way.
When improving the façade of your building, always keep in mind the architectural features.
Good lighting in parking lots for tenants is an important part of the rental process. This is because a potential tenant’s first priority is safety. So having a well-lit parking lot is not only important, but essential to prevent attacks and robberies on tenants, theft of a tenants’ cars and liability for the landlord. For the landlord then there are a few things to keep in mind that are listed below:
- When the parking lot is well lit, it not only creates a safe tenant friendly environment, but it also improves security. Accidents are reduced too from people tripping, falling or slipping. This also will prevent lawsuits against the landlord for any accidents of this nature.
- If the lights in the parking lot burn out and are not replaced within a reasonable amount of time, the landlord could be held liable if there is an accident; or if there is a safety incident concerning a tenant. The lights in a parking light must be situated too so that a person can be recognized from a safe distance. Plus, providing a crime-free environment for the tenants will not only get you a better grade of tenant, but theft and vandalism will be cut back.
- It may pay to have a maintenance company service the parking lot. The company would run continuous checks and testing on the lighting, Plus, the company would replace and repair any lights as needed as part of the maintenance and repair contract. Also, having the light poles checked for any signs of wear and tear is important so that they continue to work and are reliable when needed.
- If the parking area is inside a parking building, the lighting has to be maintained properly there as well. With proper and effective lighting, potential security problems, vehicles being protected as safety issues won’t be a problem then. A maintenance service can also be hired to provide this service as well.
Parking lots can be kept safe and secure with the proper lighting and maintenance.
When a strip mall begins to look a little run down and uncared for, sometimes a coat or two of paint can make all the difference. It will restore the mall to all its former glory and help to increase business. Also, vandals are more likely to damage a rundown area so painting helps to prevent that. Now the type of painting used is called industrial painting or commercial painting. One of the easiest ways to have this type of painting done is to hire a construction contractor to do the job correctly and efficiently.
What the contractor will do first is to assess what tools will be used and whether there will be a color change also needed. The contractor will then consider the surface area of the entire area that needs painted; plus the height. If the building is more than one floor than scaffolds will need to be used. If it’s higher than three stories then suspended scaffolds will be used. The next step will be to scrape any peeling or chipping paint from the surface of the building or buildings. After that, then the building gets washed with detergent to remove all dust and grease. It will then get rinsed with a power washer. After the building dries, then cracks; dents and dings are repaired with putty. The rough spots are then sanded to blend into the walls; then rinsed to remove any dust from the repaired area. Next they are allowed to dry. Then, the door and windows are taped over so paint doesn’t mark them. Finally a primer is applied to the building; it’s left to dry and then the paint is applied to complete the project.
Another issue which may need attention is the exterior lighting in the parking lot. Bright lighting with a minimum of glare helps with the safety of the customers and employees of the mall. This is especially true during the holiday season when customers are buying and spending more. By having properly installed pole lighting though, this can help to prevent theft and injury on the premises.
By improving the appearance of the outside of a strip mall with fresh paint and better lighting, it can breathe new life back into a business.