When repairing the water damage of a multi-family dwelling, there are some things to consider. First of all, is it a hole or weak spot in the roof that needs patched or does the whole roof need to be redone? Or do you need to replace a collapsed ceiling inside the multi-family building or just repair it where it leaked? Is the building structurally safe or did the damage compromise the integrity of the building? Is the damage from a rain storm; or a more severe storm or flood? Also, do you need to call a professional contractor to access and repair the damage?
So below are the signs of structural damage where you will need professional help:
- If the building has shifted its position on the foundation; or if there are stairs have shifted and walls now slant and there are broken pilings.
- If the floors aren’t level or if a crawlspace or the walls of the foundation have caved in or cracked.
- If the foundation has been undermined by erosion that’s cut into the soil at the bottom of the foundation.
Now if the building has been damaged you need to have these steps taken:
- Remove the damaged materials and permit the building to dry out. To prevent additional water damage, protect with tarps and other barriers that will contain the water where you need to. Some materials which have been water damaged can be salvaged, but some can’t. Also by reusing materials that haven’t dried thoroughly in repairs, they can buckle or cause mildew problems.
- You can keep drywall that has only been dampened by rainwater that’s clean. The drywall can’t be sagging, can’t be mildewed and it can’t have lost its smooth texture. However; wet insulation has to be removed immediately from the ceiling, and walls need to dry completely before you can repair them if you are not tearing them out.
- If any materials can be salvaged, move them to a place that’s dry and secure. Also, you can remove the materials which aren’t salvageable to another area, but make sure you save them until the insurance adjuster sees them.
If handled correctly, damages can be repaired smoothly, but seek professional help for the things you cannot do correctly and to code.